Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Traditional Hong Kong Tea House

The right elixir for my ailment.

Somehow, tropical storm Pablo's havoc in Mindanao yesterday had altered the otherwise pleasant weather in Hong Kong. I was in Sheung Wan this afternoon and the cold drizzle was reason enough to take refuge in a traditional herbal tea shop. But more than that is the need to take a bitter concoction for a bellyache that had been bothering me for an hour or so. 

The shop, Tung Lok Tong, located at the corner of Queen's Road Central and the pedestrian steps towards Hillier Street, offers a collection of unique brews serving as elixir to a specific malady: sore throat, fever, pimples, dysmenorrhea, colds, gas-pain ...whatever.

A customer gentleman was so nice to help me around after I apologized to the Chinese lady storekeeper for being solecistic.  A passer-by patron caught my attention who hurriedly sipped her tea as she stood by the sidewalk. But I chose to be served in the comforts of one of the round tables inside the shop.  Two small glass jars bedeck table-tops, one that seems to contain salt and the other, honey - for flavoring the tea, I surmise.

It took a while to finish the dark exotic blend, not only because it was piping hot, but it was tortuously bitter for my taste.  The tang chi (Chinese soup spoon) that was provided did help.

Paid HK$8 in loose change for the detox on my way out of the tea house. The drizzle had not stopped and made the walkways more slippery. I headed towards Sheung Wan MTR station, precariously weighed down by heavy photographic gear, for the trip back to Tsim Sha Tsui.



The following morning, I woke up to relieve myself in no time to the toilet. The relief never felt so good after that.

I had wandered around Binondo, the biggest Chinatown I know of, figuring out for days on end if such a similar herbal tea house existed - but all for naught.  However, there are these usual Chinese drugstores that include dried herbs, flowers, barks, and whatever natural source that count in their inventory.  So for those who feel the urge to take the DIY route, here is the mixture of the brew I drank which proportions (weight or volume) my competency is inadequate of any worth sharing:

  • Honeysuckle flower
  • Dandelion Herb
  • Viola yeodensis flower
  • Wild Chrysanthemum flower
  • Forsythia fruit
  • Serpentina leaves

A potent antidote for clearing bad bacteria from the digestive system.


HOW TO GET THERE   From Sheung Wan MTR Station, get out of Exit E2 and walk south towards Queen's Road Central. Turn left and stay on the right of the road. Continue walking till you reach Hillier Street where Tung Lok Tong is located at the corner on your right. It is very easy to miss the tiny shop. But exactly opposite the tea shop, across Queen's Road C, is Wellcome Supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment